Sunday, January 9, 2011

Candy and video games, knife fights and fuzz.

Okay, I know I may have promised a mix in my last post, but I was pretty significantly drunk, so cut me some slack.  It's on the way and I want to make sure it's awesome, so I'm still in the process of acquiring new music to add to it.  My internet is going in and out even though I'm literally sitting 2 feet away from the router.  Do not judge me, for I am filled with angst.

As of this writing, I am knee deep in a period where I will be working 9 out of 10 days.  Kind of sucks, but it will be (mostly) worth it when I get my next pay check.  Let me just put it this way...  Three words:  new bass amp.  Get excited.  I'm excited.  Are you excited?  No??  Well, then why the fuck not??  I'm going to make some incredibly loud noise.  Okay, so maybe that was misleading.  It's not a new bass amp, just new to me.  In fact, it's older than I am, but similar in age to my beloved 4-stringer.  In addition to this delicious 150 watt box of boom, I've decided that what I really need is a truly chaotic bass fuzz pedal.  I've narrowed it down to one of about 4 or 5, all from the same manufacturer.  Portland's "Queen of Fuzz", Devi Ever.  That's her name, and loud angry guitar sounds are her game.  She's engineered probably 40 totally unique fuzz / overdrive pedals, each with their own individual characteristics and eccentricities.  Some of the talent using her pedals includes but is not limited to:  Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, the Smashing Pumpkins, the Hives, Silversun Pickups, Nels Cline, MGMT, etc...

This is Devi.  Buy her shit so she can afford to make more pedals and do music and stuff.  Why?  Because only fuzz can save us and the world needs more great analog music gear.

You just about can't go wrong with any of her pedals, but the ones in contention to be my next effector are:

THE RUINER
THE HYPERION
THE WOLF
THE WAR HORSE
and though it's been discontinued...
THE SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE

The ruiner is what originally tempted me, but it's close between the Black Hole and Hyperion at this point.  All the pedal names link to youtube or her site, each with video demos.  Any one of them will mangle, stab, and harm your eardrums beyond belief, but in a good way.  What do you think?  Any thoughts??

On a different topic altogether, we are nearing the apocalypse every day.  I had a number of conversations regarding this exact topic over the past few days.  One source I interviewed referred to the recent fish and bird deaths, claiming there was something in the Mayan 2012 shit about fish would randomly die.  I could not be bothered to check her sources, but it was interesting none the less.  I had an intense, alcohol-induced zombie dream yesterday that can only be described as prophetic, leading me to believe that we are, in fact, living in the end times.  If nothing else, it served as the proper motivation needed to get me back into writing and revising my zombie movie script.  More on that later, perhaps.  Meanwhile, here in Georgia and the real world, the locals lose their shit if there's even a hint of inclement weather.  The forecasts call for snow and a "wintry mix" overnight, with a freeze warning in the morning.  Now, I've been outside multiple times for a smoke today and I will verify that it is cold, even cold enough for some puddles to have a thin film of ice on top, but not a single snowflake has fallen and I haven't even seen the first raindrop.  And yet they have already cancelled all school in the area and relieved military personnel at the nearby Robins Air Force base of duties tomorrow.  WTF?  And meanwhile I gotta be there at 8am to change wiper blades and sell batteries.  Oh joy.


Genius?
Fresh as hell.
















In closing, I just want to let you know a few things I have learned over the past few days:  DSL sucks, buy cable internet.  Weezy has got it all figured out; eat candy for dinner and play video games all day, rap about it, and make millions of dollars.  Skateboard shoes are more comfortable than regular ones.  And Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys still looks a little bit like Viggo Mortenson.

Case in point:


Exhibit A
Exhibit B

No comments:

Post a Comment