Saturday, December 25, 2010

Mixtape #5.1: "Christmas Blues (side B)"

Hello there.  It's me again.  Another mixed bag of blues power and hoodoo mojo straight from Santa's sleigh for you.  The same mix of traditional and contemporary ballads of loss, regret, and selling one's soul to the devil.

I don't know about you lot, but christmas day for me has been an endless buffet of home cooking and action films.  Salt is good.  Really good.  Angelina Jolie is kicks positively ludicrous amounts of ass in a movie that feels equal parts Bourne Identity and Tom Clancy.  The Expendables is pretty much just a two hour orgy of violence and steroids.  So needless to say, it's been an interesting experience.  No white christmas this year.  Just rain.  And blood.  And turkey.

So what did you get this year??  Aside from an awesome collection of questionably legal free blues songs you found on some dude's blog, that is...  Me??  I got a new xbox controller that looks like it belongs to Darth Vader, some truly awesome books, and a pony.  Okay, granted, the pony is plush.  And  I got it for opening a new savings account at the bank the other day.  Still though, it's the thought that counts.  I've been asking for a pony for years, but mostly as a joke.  I never really thought anyone would take me seriously.  Also, I ordered some new glasses so I won't look like a god damn fool when I don't wear my contacts.

Evidently his name is Lightning.  Yeah, he's got a saddle, but I don't think I can ride it...
I've got some great advice posts I'm planning the coming days... weeks...  what the fuck ever.  I'll give you a hint:  it's not at all practical, but I hope it'll be good for a laugh, and it will most definitely make you cooler.  Not quite as cool as a polar bear's toenails, but cool enough to catch that not-so-subtle Outkast reference and give a knowing nod.
Polar bears:  cuddly, majestic, and unfuckwithable.  wait... holy shit, is he eating a whale??
Well, I'm running out of interesting words to type and I want to make sure this actually gets posted before midn-  Wait.  Hold the phone.  It is snowing.  And I have just been informed that this is the first time since records were first established that snow has been recorded and seen in Macon, Georgia on christmas day.  It really is a christmas miracle.  And on that note, it is time for me to take my leave so I may fatten myself up for the winter with plenty of Reese's pieces and cigarettes.

You stay classy, Denmark.


1) "Since I've Been Loving You" - Led Zeppelin
2) "Tombstone Blues" - Bob Dylan
3) "All Hands Against His Own" - the Black Keys
4) "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" - the Rolling Stones
5) "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out" - Derek and the Dominoes
6) "Cocaine Blues (live at Folsom Prison)" - Johnny Cash
7) "Mistreating Queen" - Radio Moscow
8) "Death Letter Blues" - Son House
9) "Me and Bobby McGee" - Janis Joplin
10) "Catch Hell Blues" - the White Stripes
11) "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" - Huddy "Leadbelly" Ledbetter
12) "Cross Road Blues (take 2)" - Robert Johnson
13) "Hear My Train A Coming (live at the BBC)" - the Jimi Hendrix Experience

No comments:

Post a Comment