Thursday, November 11, 2010

unemployment and other fine points

Being a jobless slacker affords one many opportunities to indulge in the simpler pleasures of life.  "Why Corey, what do you mean by that statement?" you may be asking yourself right now (if you literally asked yourself that out loud, consider seeking psychological assistance.  you may have some sort of disorder).  Well, good sirs and ladies, allow me to elaborate.  Though my desperation to find gainful employment in any sort of job that will not make me hate my life and pays a decent wage has pushed me to apply for every position from "Dog Trainer" to "Flight Attendant" to "Tow Truck Dispatcher", I have still found the time to play bass until my fingers have been shredded beyond recognition, do a considerable amount of writing, and watch some truly epic films.

In addition to surf guitar, loud noises, and videogames, I have a sincere appreciation for foreign films.  And may I just issue a hearty "bravo" to the German film industry.  I just got through watching The Baader Meinhof Complex, and I have to say, it is most definitely among the best films of the past few years.  Period.  End of story.  It's about a Marxist left-wing extremist group that operated at it's peak in West Germany from about 1967-1977 which engaged in a series of increasingly violent acts.  Starts as a bunch of students rioting in response to police brutality and ends up as a bunch of violent revolutionaries trying to free their leaders from prison.  Along the way, they rob 3 banks in 10 minutes in West Berlin, steal some Porsches and race down the autobahn firing Berettas wildly out the windows, living the kind of wild, criminal lifestyle most of us are too afraid to even dream of.  There's also a lot of random nudity (not a bad thing?) and some seriously graphic violence (also not a bad thing).  Most incredibly, everything you see actually happened.  I don't mean for this to turn into a movie review, but this is definitely a film that makes you want to change something about yourself, stop sitting idly by, and do something to change the world.  Anyway, for those of you who are more visually driven, here's the film's poster.

Boom.  Stolen from the internet.  Just like 90% of the pictures and music you will ever find on this blog.  Whoops?  Did I say that??  I meant... umm... legally acquired via an undisclosed source.  Internet piracy is bad.  Actually, I retract that.  In fact, here's a link where you can read about the "internet blacklist" that's being proposed to congress to "protect copyright infringement".  Realistically, it sets up an internet police state like in China.  Do you want the government to block you from viewing whatever sites they feel like just because they think it may or may not infringe on what are, let's face it, incredibly vague copyright laws??  Hell no!  So in that case, here's another link where you can sign the online petition to block this legislation, or at least voice your opinion against it.  And why stop there??  Why don't you email your senator and let him or her (just realized how few female senators we have.  jesus, people.  it's 2010.  let's get with the god damn program) know exactly what you think of the situation.

In a way, that's what the whole movie is about.  No, not internet rights, but lashing out and taking a stand against governmental actions that you don't agree with.  Maybe that's how all extremist groups start out, I guess.  Somebody has a really strong opinion about something and they take their opposition to whatever that may be to a totally different level.  Sure, it's messy, and a lot of innocent people end up getting hurt, but these people have principles, dammit.

I have no idea where I'm going with this.  But you know, no one seems to be making that kind of angry music anymore.  Who's the voice of the revolution these days??  It used to be so clear, like when Dylan went electric, or Hendrix and Cash started to sing about the Vietnam war.  Maybe Tyler Durden had it right when he said "We have no great war.  No great depression."  Our generation seems so concerned with self-discovery and masturbating our own egos that I think we've all lost sight of what really matters, like people and causes and being happy with where we're at and what we're doing.

In any case, every time I apply for one of these different jobs, I keep picturing myself doing that and wondering is that something I'm going to be happy doing in the long term.  Maybe that's not the right approach.  Maybe what we should all be doing is focusing on what we can all do to make ourselves just a little bit happier and more fulfilled right this very minute.  Maybe that's terrible advice and it's probably incredibly irresponsible.  Shit, at this point I don't even know if I care.

But I do know that if one of these places doesn't give me a job soon, I might have to resort to being a con artists or a Marxist extremist.  Or maybe something really outrageous...

No comments:

Post a Comment